COVID-19 Wreaks Havoc on Spring Break Plans


First you had to decide whether or not you would or even could follow-through with the plans that you made for your child(ren) for Spring Break. Now that Spring Break has started for most families, we turn to the question of when Spring Break ends this year.

Wondering how to handle your Spring Break possession period for your kids this year? First, as always, if you and your child(ren)’s other parent has reached an agreement on how to handle possession during this extra time of children not being in school, then follow the agreement that you have made. If no agreement has been reached, the Texas Supreme Court has issued an order that tells us what to do.

Effective March 17, 2020, the Texas Supreme Court has ordered that possession over Spring Break shall follow the time period of the regular Spring Break set out on the school’s calendar – regardless of any extensions of Spring Break due to school closings to head off the spread of the Corona Virus. Disregard any recent changes in the school’s calendar and return or collect your child(ren) from Spring Break at the time the Spring Break vacation should have ended. Likewise, if your Decree or SAPCR Order uses a specific end time for the Spring Break period of possession, like 6:00 p.m. on the day before school resumes after Spring Break, absent an agreement otherwise, your Spring Break period of possession still ends based on the day that Spring Break should have resumed. The fact that some schools are calling this an “extension” of Spring Break doesn’t change this order.

Be safe and work together to do what’s best for your child(ren). If you need more specific advice, I am doing Skype, Zoom, and FaceTime meetings with clients and potential clients as necessary. Please call my office to schedule a conference.

All the best,
Kelly J. Capps

This article does not create an attorney-client relationship. Its purpose is to educate the public about the topic of family law. This article should not be seen as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney before you rely on this information.